Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Bee-specific > General Discussion about Beekeeping > Topic : Black Bees

Threaded Mode | Print  

Black Bees (32 Replies, Read 10583 times)
jaseemtp
Group: Member
Post Group: Pupa
So today I was sitting outside watching bees and trying to do the bee line deal to find the feral hives in my area.  I couldnt help but notice several black bees.  I guess these are the black german bee.  My back yard has alot of dandalions in it and there had to a bee on every flower out there.
Just thought it was neat, since we are told that the mites killed off all the feral swarms.  No luck on the bee lining deal, the didnt seem to want my 1:1 syrup.

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas
IP: --   

Black Bees
lupester
Post Group: Egg
Were they solid black bees or black bees with white stripes instead of yellow with black stripes? I have some queens (Purvis stock) and a swarm I caught last year that throws multiple color bees like the black with white stripes. Also, they throw some almost gold bee (cordovan), yellow with black stripes and yellow with black rear ends. I think you might get some of the black bees in the packages from the seaborns.

Black Bees
tecumseh
Post Group: Drone
my original mentor had german black bees.  they were solid black, smallish (slightly smaller than the italian) and ferocious.  brother adams at least suggested the german black bee were unlikely to survive problems like trachael mites (the isle of wright disease).

when it came time for me to get bees I got packages of yellow italians from Walter Kelley.  some things you can improve on with little trouble.

Black Bees
Bsweet
I aint sure but my bees that made it overwinter was yellow w/black last fall, now i notice that they have become almost black. Jim

-----------------------
As a veteran I served the people,the government was the boss but you don't have to like the boss to do the job

Black Bees
jaseemtp
they were solid black.  Since I have been looking at getting bees i have let the dandelions go wild in my back yard.  I had bees every where they were solid black and smaller than the "normal" looking bees.

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
jaseemtp
ok I can post a link and I was finally got a picture of a "black bee"
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/jaseemtp/bees/

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Kingfisher
Group: Universal Moderator
Man those are normal looking bees.

mike

-----------------------
Mike@Kingfisher Apiaries.
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
Frazier
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Larva
I agree, Mike has some black bee genes in his stock.  They are solid black, no yellow at all.

Black Bees
jaseemtp
I had not seen any with out stripes on there butts before.  They yellow on her was off a dandalion i plucked her from.  I didnt notice the yellow fuzz when I took the picture.

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Kingfisher
Frazier where those the ones that were in the CB and stung the fool out of me? Mark my words that CB is going down very soon!

Mike

Edited by Kingfisher : March 7, 2011, 8:47 pm

-----------------------
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
Frazier
No I remember seeing them mixed in with another hive on the opposite side of the yard visit before last. Think you moved that hive.

Now that mean hive we messed with was an experience!  Now I know, when they want to get you, it will take very little time!

Black Bees
Kingfisher
After today the queen is going to definably have a visit from my hive tool. Stung me up.

mike

-----------------------
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
jaseemtp
I added some more pictures of these dark girls

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
LtlWilli
Post Group: Worker

2Round here we talk just like lions, but we sacrifice like lambs.
I had a swarm show up here that had a sprinkling of solid black bees. They have been gradually bred out of the gene pool though, and aren't as common any more.
LtlWilli

-----------------------
Nobody rides for free...Nobody gets it like they want it to be....Nobody owes you any guarantees....Nobody, baby...Jackson Browne

Black Bees
Kingfisher
I talked to a guy in L'view today that gets most of the swarms in town. He said he RARELY finds bees much less queens that are ALL dark. I told him that people pay for the black bees and he was amused.
mike

-----------------------
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
ranchonodinero
Revising an old topic, but my assistant bee keeper found a black bee at the water today. At first I thought I had another colony of bees nearby, but it sure looks like a color variation.
Board Image

And another...
Board Image

-----------------------
Marty
Aledo, Texas

Black Bees
tecumseh
could be a color variation and then again maybe not.

as a bee ages it looses it 'hair' and the color fades to a slick black (most notable on it's abdomen).

Black Bees
Bonnie
Found this forum and discussion when I googled "Black Bees, Texas".  My husband and I live in Sabine Cty. where he was born and raised.  We have a couple hives of bees which we've "rescued" from neighbors when they swarmed in their yards.  In the past, my husband has also gotten bees out of the woods when he was working in logging woods.  He tells stories of ferocious, little black bees that he and his dad and brothers used to get and keep.  I finally got curious and am trying to find out what kind of bees they were.  From what little I've found so far, I'm thinking it would be worth it to attempt to get some ourselves.  Only problem is that hubby hasn't seen any around here in YEARS!  So...two questions:

1) Exactly what type of bees are these?

2) Where could a person get some? 

Thanks for y'all's time and answers!  :D

Black Bees
Frazier
They sound like the German Black Bee, Apis Mellifera Mellifera.

I'm not sure who sells them. I would bet someone on here will know.

Black Bees
jaseemtp
If you could buy them I am pretty certain I would not.  From what I have been told about them is they were called black devils.  Some very mean bees that could put africanized bees to shame.

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Bonnie
Jaseemtp...yup, Hubby says they were quite mean!  He says his dad told him that HIS dad had about 40 hives of these Black Bees.  They were so mean that when you plowed anywhere near them, they'd come out and mob you and your mule.  One time, they told Grandpa that they couldn't plow the rows by his bees because of being swarmed and stung.  Grandpa told them to come help him rob them bees.  He built a pine-knot fire in front of the black bee hives and when they'd fly out they'd die in the fire.  When all were dead...THEN he robbed the hives.  He said there was no way he'd try to rob them with the bees still alive and in the hive.  But...Hubby is wanting some anyhow.  What little research I've done on them in the past few days, leads me to believe they are more disease/parasite resistant than the 'tame' bees we are keeping.  Hubby wants to see if he can find a queen to put in with our bees.  He says they were smaller than what we call "tame" or "yellow" bees.  Most were black but some were "streaked".  Says they'd chase you half a mile if you even thought about bothering them.  lol

Black Bees
DanE
Group: Administrator
Bonnie, I did a Google search an Apis Mellifera Mellifera and found several hits.  Most say that the Black Bee is gene really not commercially available in USA and perhaps not even here any more as a pure species.  Try that search and see what you find.

Welcome to the forum.  Tell Hubby he can probably find enough mean bees without having to have some black ones!

Black Bees
jaseemtp
Ok Bonnie, I have a site that you can try to order  A.M.M. from.  He has a limited supply of them and I think its only in the early spring. Hope it helps.  Jason  http://www.russellapiaries.webs.com/I know your looking for the A.M.M., but if your just wanting some dark colored honey bees maybe try out the carniolans, they are pretty much all black and not near as mean.

Edited by jaseemtp : July 24, 2011, 5:03 pm

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Frazier
I would read this consumer report thread before ordering. http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?253818-Russell-s-Apiaries

Black Bees
jaseemtp
Not a Russell fan Frazier?  I am, I believe they have an excellent product and it is worth the wait.  So far I have been very happy with the services I have recieved from them.  Yes I had difficulty contacting them, but I recieved everything I had ordered on time.  I will be ordering more queens from them this spring and have no problem recomending any one else to do them same.  Folks just have to understand that keeping bees is farming, it is dependant on the weather.

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Frazier
I have no personal opinion of Russell Apiaries. There are some very mix reviews about them, so I felt that they should read that before ordering.

Black Bees
Kingfisher
hey jason email me when you have a chance
Mike

-----------------------
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
jaseemtp
email sent

-----------------------
Weatherford Texas

Black Bees
Kingfisher
Got it.
Mike

-----------------------
Kingfisherapiaries.com                                                   

Like Us on Facebook!

Black Bees
DanE
Group: Administrator
We had some bees feeding at passion flower blooms near our hives the other day.  One was obviously different.  At first we thought it was a drone because it was larger than the other bees, it was bigger round and longer.  There was enough size difference that it was very obvious, especially when it was near another bee.  It was also very dark, the abdomen was essentially black although you could still see the stripe patterns.  It had full pollen baskets so it was foraging like a worker.  Only saw one.  Have not see anything like this in my hives.

Black Bees
Danarchy
Interesting article I ran across:

http://backyardhive.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/quest-for-the-black-bees/

Black Bees
LtlWilli

2Round here we talk just like lions, but we sacrifice like lambs.
There are plenty in the gene pool around here. I see many of solid black bees at my waterers and pot feeders. They have been around here since I started noticing them a few years back. A few is ok, but I would not care for a whole hive of mean mammas.  ;-D
LtlWilli

-----------------------
Nobody rides for free...Nobody gets it like they want it to be....Nobody owes you any guarantees....Nobody, baby...Jackson Browne

Black Bees
Jewel
Group: Banned
The bees i found, yesterday there were two, i thought htey were a fly but got stung though the stinger didn't stay, and the next day, yesterday three. and today four. i think they had white stripesp but was hard to tell they were.. amazing calm and didn't sting me until i picked them up wiht my hands grabbing them.. i'm a bit scared of flying insec ts that sting

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.